It is currently Thu 14 Dec 2017 10:24

Economy adjustments

• Author

mperor

Re: Economy adjustments

PostMon 18 Apr 2016 15:31

Dr. Ido, though I'm not necessarily happy with your latest changes, I can understand your reasoning. Except for one change: What do you expect to gain by increasing the waiting time between normal chests to one hour? What's the benefit of forcing people to log in 10 times a day?

Dr.Ido

PostMon 18 Apr 2016 15:56

@mperor: We want to encourage players to have more session during but less long ones. We know that some players like to have fewer / longer session (such as you) but that's not the most common case. With the new setting, you can open one chest when you first turn on your phone, and then, one new chest every hour from then. The game will "stay with you" all day. So far we are happy with the results as we see more people returning to the game daily than before, but these results might be caused by the hollidays (currently in several european countries) so we're still monitoring this.

PostMon 18 Apr 2016 18:17

Dr Ido it is interesting that you reference Gozlekipu's post. Now you'll have the exact details of what you give away to whom and how long they have been receiving these benefits. Now looking through Goz's post I can safely say that I have never got 300000 gold nor 70 tokens for a specific race in any given 24 hour period. When I look at my own playing, I am lucky to get maybe 25 Orc tokens (as I am not only doing 4 & 5 star season games) a day. Of those 25 maybe 10 or at the very best 15 are actually usable. Now gold, as the main source of gold is winning league matched, due to your awesome match-making algorithm I have won two matches during the last 7 days.

What gold do I get? well, 34000 from daily missions then what ever season games I play. Which as I am stuck in Season 5 is 1500 max, but as I am only interested in the Orcs it't not that much really. So 300000 gold per day? Really? Come on then Dr Ido what percentages of players are getting 70 tokens per race of their choice and 300000g per day. You have these figures so prove to the community how generous you have been. Whilst you're at it, it might be interesting for players to know how many of say the top 400 players in the league are totally free content players.

You want to make the game more sustainable, stop the necessity for people to gamble and praying to RNGesus in the hope of their race appearing in the giant chest, but rather make that spending their cash has some clear tangible benefits.

One final question are we in for more adjustments to make you guys more money or are you actually going to change the game/release new content that all players can benefit from?

mperor

PostMon 18 Apr 2016 21:02

Dr.Ido wrote:@mperor: We want to encourage players to have more session during but less long ones. We know that some players like to have fewer / longer session (such as you) but that's not the most common case. With the new setting, you can open one chest when you first turn on your phone, and then, one new chest every hour from then. The game will "stay with you" all day. So far we are happy with the results as we see more people returning to the game daily than before, but these results might be caused by the hollidays (currently in several european countries) so we're still monitoring this.

Hi Dr. Ido, actually you still don't explain the why. Okay, you want players to have more sessions, but why? What's wrong with fewer sessions? Fewer sessions don't mean less playing time in the end. All you achieve by the one hour waiting time is to piss off players with jobs in which they can't play on their phones every hour. While if the waiting time were shorter, everyone could choose for themselves if they play many short sessions or fewer longer ones. I really can't see why you would so much support only the second variant.

bowdy

PostMon 18 Apr 2016 21:11

mperor wrote:I really can't see why you would so much support only the second variant.

Totally agree with this. I do one big session on the train/before the baby wakes up in the morning, and another on the way home from work/after I've put the baby down. I don't have time to be on it every hour. I can't afford to be distracted from family/work.

Gozlekipu

PostMon 18 Apr 2016 22:05

The thing is ;
- now buying money seems twice as dumb because everything is more expensive it would vanish in 3 clics. "Did I just use 300.000 gold ? I can't see ANY difference".
- chest aren't beter because they're always random. That's why they're not bought. "Woohoo, skavens tokens, and oh, single-star-player's tokens".

Try to give twice or thrice more than currently. Then we could consider.

But we say it's not worth it, you made them even worse instead.
Someone could spend 5 $ on a mini game. But we he notices that has no impact (or notices he would have to do that ten time at least) he won't do it twice.

Aconite

PostMon 18 Apr 2016 22:58

I never pay for anything I can gain for free inside a game.

What I do spend on though are things like "ad free", extra races/players (not that are better than unpaid ones, but alternatives that give a balanced difference. Pay to win takes away any interest any more). Or other customisation type things. All the changes that have recently happened mean to me is that I play less...

Belzmort

PostMon 18 Apr 2016 23:42

Hmm now this is interesting. Dr Ido quoted Gozlekipu to try and show how generous cyanide are. Now Gozlekipu comes back with negative criticism which I wholehearted agree with and I would bet that Dr Ido doesn't quote Goz's post or even address his points.

For those of you bemoaning about logging 10 times a day, just realise one thing, Dr Ido wants you to log in more often, because the more time you log in, he think it's more likely your going to spend money to improve your team out of frustration. There is no other reason Dr Ido wants you to log in more often.

Just remember folks one simple fact about these mobile games. Every change made is calculated against money. Does the new change make us more or less money. Someone in Cyanide will ask that question with every change and some PR guy will come and defend the change and deny/lie about the ulterior motive. Dr Ido nice try but we know what the bottom line is.....money. However here is a hint, build a loyal following and the cash will flow. How do I know? I have thrown cash at some games just to help the devs out, just to get a new skin, or cosmetic item, why? Well, because I felt the devs deserved the money.....Guess what Dr Ido your team doesn't deserve the money.....yet. You want more of my money, then develop a game with more than one strategy (ie 4* and 5* players with the highest strength always wins).

Honest question here Dr Ido, do you think this game is a AAA title? Why do I ask? Well because it seems that you want people to invert £40 a month plus to either catch up with the top players, or even compete. I will give you an answer, no you're no where near a AAA game, nor do you deserve to get a stack load of money for virtually no tangible return.

Do I expect an honest answer to the above? Nope not a hope in hell Dr. Ido is just a PR guy, there to put a positive spin.

Dr.Ido

PostTue 19 Apr 2016 09:49

@mperor, bowdy: shorter, more frequent sessions during the day fit the way most people want to play mobile phone games. They want to play for 5 minutes whenever they got the time, rather than sit down and engage into an hour long session. We want to try to match the rythm of the game with the rythm of the majority of the users. The goal is that the game became an habit and that people know that whenever they have a downtime during the day they can launch the game, open a chest and play one or two games.

I also want to point, that we you can still have long sessions, just because you don't have the 5 chest in 50 minutes, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't still take one hour to go through your daily missions, league games and the 5 stars matches that you want to farm. At higher level you have a lot of energy waiting for you when you came back the first time, so you can have a very long session.

Dr.Ido

PostTue 19 Apr 2016 10:07

@Belzmmort and about the economy adjustments as a whole: Yes, you're right, money is key here. I think the reason that most of you are here is because you enjoy the game and would like it to stick around and evolve over time. For this to happen it needs to profitable, not just to pay for the initial investement but to support a team working full time on it. The game is not there yet, we believe we can do it but we need to increase the revenues per users if we want to make it work.

Now, you might disagree with the specific changes that we make, maybe you would rather pay for cosmetic features or watch ads instead of purchasing diamonds, ok I can understand that. I don't want to get into this discussion here, we could go on and on for hours about the various ways to monetize a free to play game, each game is unique and it's not that easy to find the perfect solution.

On our side, we believe that the balance of free content vs. paid content wasn't right for kerrunchg, and that we needed to shift it a little toward paid content. It's not some random decision, we looked at our data we spent a lot of time thinking about it, and we're quite confident about this changes.

Now that theses changes are done, we won't touch the economy for a while, we need to let things settle down and see wether we were right or not.
PreviousNext

Return to News