It is currently Sun 18 Nov 2018 04:10

analysis of top 5 players per team

Talk about Blood Bowl: Kerrunch
  • Author

EvilsPresley

analysis of top 5 players per team

PostSun 8 Nov 2015 15:25

Hey guys, I gathered the basic stats (before any evolution) of all 5 top players for each team.

You can find the raw stats here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Here is my TL:DR feedback on it:
Orcs are overpowered, as most people expect it (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11 ).
Dwarves are good.
Other teams are trash.

Then here comes the detailed analysis:

Player selection
Top 5 players per team were selected as follow:
Take all 5 star players for each team (3 each: 1 big guy, one lineman "defensive" because he has ton of armor, and one star player "offensive" because he is faster and strong).
Take the second big guy (1 each).
Take the strongest guy remaining as ball wearer (1 each).

Why did I only take bashing compositions? Because I have yet to see passing compositions work. To make a pass, you need to open a hole in the ennemie's defense by disabling at least 2 guys so you can infiltrate someone to the touchdown zone. To me, it feels like this never happens anymore once you've left the rookie leagues, and it's highly risky compared to regular bashing setups.

Why did I take the strongest guy to take the ball? Because you don't want him to fall, so you need high strength, and armor does not matter much (if he is blocked more than 1 or 2 times, you're in big trouble anyway).

Big guys
This is my main complain, and the reason why orcs are so strong: orcs own the strongest big guy by far (Ripper - 190 str) and their second big guy is on a similar level as other team's best big guy (Mozuk - 170 str, weak armor). Orcs are by far the best team for their big guys roster, with elves being second, and the 3 other team right behind.
BigGuys.png
BigGuys.png (24.39 KiB) Viewed 5016 times

Offense
Offensive players are a lot more varied (and probably balanced) than the big guys.
Dwraves have the upper hand thanks to Grim, but he is lacking armor, so he might be killed fast if he goes in too deep. Griff seems a bit more balanced than Varag for the second place, but in my opinion, the small str advantage and the good passive Varag enjoys, make him slightly better.
Offense.png
Offense.png (16.4 KiB) Viewed 5016 times

Defense
This is the only category where I think armor matters more than pure str. You usually have your defensive player hold your weaker side, trying to survive as long as possible in 1v2.
Of course, once again, dwarves shine with the only 1000 armor player in the game. But again, the orc player displays the best str by far here, making him able to hold his ground decently while his 2 big guys destroy all opposition.
Defense.png
Defense.png (15.1 KiB) Viewed 5016 times

Ball carrier
The last player of the team is usually the weakest one, whose job is to hold the ball while his 4 mates try to win a 4v5, or sometimes sprint to the touchdown area when a hole has been open in ennemie's defenses. That's why I favor high str players here, because you will lose the match right when the ball carrier falls, be it with 90% remaining armor against a dead goblin.
And again, Orcs and dwarves have the upper hand here, with players over 115 str (taht is enough to beat anyone but a big guy in 1v1), while other teams have players focused on move speed... that they won't be able to exploit against any decent defense.

EvilsPresley

Re: analysis of top 5 players per team

PostSun 8 Nov 2015 15:25

And here is the sheet for ball cariers:
Ball.png
Ball.png (14.67 KiB) Viewed 5015 times

SquidKing

PostMon 9 Nov 2015 15:12

Awesome work man. Thank you for your time and effort.

henkus

PostMon 9 Nov 2015 16:44

Agreed, really nice info. Some input though:
* I would'nt rule out agility and movement completely. I agree that a passing game is not really viable, but high movement gets your players faster in position for assist and sometimes to be able to make a run for the goal line. At least for me, I'm starting to run into teams in division 5 that outbash my bashiest team, usually because their key players have these crazy level 60+ skills. The solution is sometimes to send in Eldril Sidewinder with 85 movement and 80 agility.

* Also, you didn't take the skills into account. Some players have skills that are better than other players. Usually things that trigger at start of game is better than things that trigger at knockout. Effects that trigger on hit could be great or bad depending on how often you expect to hit...

Maldoror

PostMon 9 Nov 2015 17:47

Brilliant work! I did the same on my side but not as clear as you did (and also I did it too late after the first evolutions to remember the basic stats.

You clearly forget the strong impact of skills at higher level, otherwise everything you say is correct.

I play human and I chose it after a long thinkin with orcs and dwarves ;)

EvilsPresley

PostWed 11 Nov 2015 11:51

Henkus : do you mind posting your team composition and position for using Eldril as a runner?
I'm really curious, I just don't understand how it could work against a solid defensive team.

And yes, on the other side, I did not took skills into account. Maybe I'll add it sometimes to the excel sheet, but I don't know yet how to present that.

Yak

PostWed 11 Nov 2015 21:12

I also run a high agility 5th player - typically Weezw behind a line of 5*s and the second troll. Sometimes a clear running lane opens up and he can nip through for a touchdown, or three surviving opponents are focussing on my last linesorc so he can weave his way through for a touchdown. Accounts for maybe 20% of my wins.

Maldoror

PostThu 12 Nov 2015 11:14

Otherwise you take your best offensive players and add a receiver so that you can pass the ball as soon as he find an opportunity ot break through

Suido

PostWed 23 Dec 2015 09:37

This only takes into account their basic stats, and not their skills.

Assuming similar evolves, I find I can beat orcs with humans because the humans have anti-orc skills, but orcs have anti-dwarf and anti-orc skills. So I use humans against orcs, and orcs against any other team.

Akhôrahil

PostWed 23 Dec 2015 16:52

Skills are critical. Because you never meet anything but Orcs in League, Rokhor never gets to play (his stats are good, but his skills aren't, against Orcs - he's an anti-Dwarf kind of guy, which is meaningless). Skills also make the Human and Orc 4 Star Big Guys better than the 5 Star ones.
Next

Return to General