It is currently Sat 17 Nov 2018 04:03

Should we limit the number of stars ?s

Talk about Blood Bowl: Kerrunch
  • Author
Ridel

Should we limit the number of stars ?s

PostMon 9 Nov 2015 23:57

It could be a nice idea to limit the number of stars we could use for a game. For example, during the seasons, a limit of stars can be implemented.

10 stars for season 10.

So if you want to use a 5star player, his teammates will be real low.

And the number of stars you can use would increase to face more difficult challenges in the next season.

Akhôrahil

Re: Should we limit the number of stars ?s

PostMon 16 Nov 2015 11:41

A, say, 15-star-max "junior" league would be great. That would mean you would get to use more than those 5-6 players that are usually the only playable ones.

SquidKing

PostThu 19 Nov 2015 07:54

This may be the best idea so far.

Akhôrahil

PostSat 21 Nov 2015 14:27

Also super easy to implement.

KPhilla

PostSun 22 Nov 2015 12:08

There's nothing stopping you from playing this way now if you wish during the seasons, but its not something I'd want imposed on all players: i.e some arbitrary star cap for a match. I've just tried it and it's not as fun as playing with the better rated players.

I think perhaps the ability to set player running lines and targets rather than the standard AI chosen lines may be give a more fun dimension to the game, and enable players to implement their own tactics and not merely rely on the AI 'doing the right thing.'

Akhôrahil

PostSun 22 Nov 2015 13:33

Yes, but this would mean deliberately handicapping yourself, so it's simply stupid.

What I'm advocating is one more league, separate from the regular one, and using a star level limitation (15 seems reasonable). This would mean that you get to actually use those one-star linemen with craploads of tokens to them, and you get additional strategic choices – should you use a 5-5-3-1-1 setup, or 5-3-3-2-2, or...

Because it feels kinda silly that only maybe six of your players ever get to play.

KPhilla

PostSun 22 Nov 2015 15:11

Akhôrahil wrote:Yes, but this would mean deliberately handicapping yourself, so it's simply stupid.

Not if you enjoy a challenge ;)

I do see where you're coming from with this, though. Perhaps the skills of the lower-starred players could be beefed up to encourage the selection of that player. Take for instance Zara the Slayer. She's a one-star, but take her against a human side with a high level+ST on every hit taken in combination with a few of the other player's skills and she soon becomes a beast to be reckoned with. Actually, given this example, it makes the following part of your argument for a separate star-limited league a little redundant:

Akhôrahil wrote:Because it feels kinda silly that only maybe six of your players ever get to play.

Perhaps per team, but as you go up the seasons and leagues varying your team selection and race is a must when facing different opponents due to their inherent strengths and weaknesses.

Akhôrahil

PostMon 23 Nov 2015 00:58

KPhilla wrote:Perhaps per team, but as you go up the seasons and leagues varying your team selection and race is a must when facing different opponents due to their inherent strengths and weaknesses.

You really think so? I'm both unable to keep up more than one team from free to play money flow, and I also use my Orc team for all high-end play. Orcs are good against Dwarves and Orcs, which are the most difficult teams in league, and does perfectly fine in League (where the only good teams you face are Orc anyway).

You really think you need other teams than Orc for high-end play? I don't see it – much better to have one maxed-out team you use for everything difficult.

Akhôrahil

PostMon 23 Nov 2015 01:00

That should read that orcs are good in season in the first case, there. For what season play do you need anything but Orcs to succeed? Or for what League play, for that matter?

(Obviously I play the other teams for missions and objectives, but the lower-end ones are trivial anyway.)

Quadrasonic

PostThu 10 Dec 2015 10:16

This!

There should absolutely be a star limit for league play. 15 stars would be very interesting. Team builds would be much more unique.

Of course Zara would need to be upped to a realistic 3 stars or so...
Next

Return to General